[SEL] Re: Pinned Rings - Problems or Not?

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Wed Apr 20 09:34:13 PDT 2005

In a message dated 4/20/2005 12:15:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
curt at imc-group.com writes:

<< I might not be wrong. How are we to guess what the engineers at
 Hercules were thinking a 100 years ago? >>

Curt,

I think you are right and that no one will ever know what the 100 year old
methodology was as far as ring installation is concerned.  On the smaller
engines I have taken apart, I found three types, pinned, not pinned square butt, and
non pinned angular butt.  These are on engines of 10 hp or less.  Of the
engines I have dissambled, the International Famous engines were pinned, but
Hercules were not.  I would be of the opinion that it was the thoughts of the
engineers that worked for a particular company as to how the rings were installed.

I do not think any rings went past the ignitor holes as this would cause
breakage.

These are just my opinions from a non-opinionated fellow!

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA
Germoamer at aol.com