[SEL] Silver Soldering Failure

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Apr 18 15:08:44 PDT 2005

Luke,
  Use the Force....
Anyway, Did I understand you correctly when you stated you were heating
the part, then moving the heat away and letting the solder melt? If so
that could be the problem. You need to keep the part at solder melting
temp until your finished. Also you should be applying the solder out of
the flame area, It is basically the same as soft soldering just with
higher temps. You need the solder to wick into the joint and make a nice
fillet in angled areas.

Also what was the steel wool? New fresh out of the pack? That usually
has a light oil on it to keep it from rusting. That could have caused a
problem. I usually clean the part, go over it with a scotch brite  Then
wipe it off with lacquer thinner. Then apply the flux. Only time I had a
problem was with some cast iron parts that were oil soaked. Had to heat
them up good to get the oil out before anything could be done.

Steve Williams