[SEL] Portland - Gas Prices

guitronics guitronics at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 19:08:32 PDT 2005

In 1972,I worked for an Independent Gas station (Kayo),in
Flint,Michigan.This station was located on an intersection,not close to
a Freeway.(3 miles away).

I don't recall what the "Normal" price for a gallon of gas
was,maybe$0.359 or so....Kayo was a high-volume station.All we did was
sell gas and oil,etc.,no work on cars.

Across the street was a Shell station which charged 1 or 2 cents
more/gallon.They did a lot of mechanical work.

Another station  (Texaco)  on the 3rd corner  charged 5 cents more per
gallon....they really didn't want to sell gas,but did lots of mechanical
work.

All gas stations at that time were full-service,and the
"Islands"(remember those?) were  about 40' apart.We had 3 islands with 2
pumps per.We got our gas delivered by different name-brand
stations...Shell,Texaco,Citgo,whatever....always late at night (we were
a 24-hour station).The other Stations were open only in the Daytime.

In the winter of '72/'73,Our district manager kept calling the station
to tell us to lower the price,1 cent at a time,every few hours; over 2
or 3 days.He visited the station on the 3rd day, and I asked him why the
price kept going down.

He replied that there was a glut of gas,and they were trying to get rid
of it.Customers were lined up by the 2nd day,and people were ripping the
workers off, by pumping their own gas and paying us less than was
pumped,the next customer would reset the pump, and pump his gas before
we could check the amount pumped.

The adjacent stations were lowering their prices, in response to our
lowering, but keeping the same "cents per gallon"spread.

There was only one person working per shift,and just before I quit
working there, (cost me money through shortages) we were down to
$0.169/gallon.A few months later,the "Gas Crisis" hit.