[SEL] Portland - Gas Prices

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 06:46:22 PDT 2005

On 4/16/05, Ivan Cousins <ivancou at alltel.net> wrote:
> Peter , are most of the vehicles there still manual transmissions ?  In the
> UK they gave us an automatic as they had lost our reservations and had to
> upgrade our rental .  Ivan

95% are still manual, my van is a six-speed box, most autos are
4-speed with the upper price range cars on 5 or 6 speed autos, most
cars are 5-speed manual.

One defining point is your car driving test, you have to take a
separate driving test for manual transmission if you pass on an
automatic gearbox car, while manual gearbox passes get you an auto
grade automatically.

Trailer towing also requires a separate test now, that came in a few
years ago, while existing drivers had 'grandfather rights' and did not
require a new test.

Driver licencing is quite complex in the UK and Europe, you have lots
of different classes of licence. I have car, motorcycle and truck
licences, but within the average group such as the car or truck there
are more sub-classes that you may or may not need a test for.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com