[SEL] Re: Pinned Rings - Problems or Not?

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 15 17:32:25 PDT 2005

Hi Arnie,

I'll have to agree with you. My Sattley has pinned rings, and judging
from the general condition of the engine, it has been well used over the
years. The cylinder wall shows no signs of wear from the pinned rings
and the gap being stationary. I do believe that rings would catch on
ports on two cycle engines, yet the Maytags live on and on, so I really
doubt that the rings rotate. Same goes for other two cycles I have
worked on by the way.

 From my limited knowledge of engines, when wrist pins contact cylinders
you have shrapnel. The wear marks in the cylinder tell you why. My too
sense worth.

Jeff Allen