[SEL] Lindsy Alamo Piston Ring Qustion

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Fri Apr 15 11:43:49 PDT 2005

You'll wear a ridge where the ring gap is.
Easier for hot spots and scuffing.

http://www.sacskyranch.com/piston_ring_rotation.htm

I had a piece from Michigan State University a few months ago when this
came up in high-performance engine discussions and bloody heck can't find
it!

www.eci2fly.com/Tech_Ref/si/02-6.pdf

One way to show rotation is to disassemble an automotive engine - and look
at the spot where the top ring lands in the cylinder at each TDC - if
there was no rotation, you should see where the ring end gap left an
unworn area in the cylinder, but you won't unless the rings were stuck.
It's worn all the way around.

I'll try to find my documentation on it and pass it along.
There's a lot of science to it, however, on these engines, well - they
will outlast most of us, rotate or not!

Bill