[SEL] Key Installation

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Fri Apr 15 08:17:57 PDT 2005

Hi List,
Several months ago, there was some discussion on step keys.  I  have a pulley
with a 1/4" grove and the engine shaft is 3/8" wide.  The  distance between
the top of the pulley grove and the bottom of the shaft grove  is 1/4".  My
local supplier told me that step keys don't come in double  steps.  That is the
3/8" will step down to 5/16" and  the 5/16" will step down to 1/4".
Since I couldn't obtain a key that went from 3/8" to 1/4".  I  made one.  I
took a piece of 1/4" square key and silver soldered two strips  of 1/16" x 1/8"
metal on both sides.  I cleaned up (with a file) the  modified key.  Then, I
used the modified key to install the  pulley (with a set screw) on the engine
shaft.

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, CA