[SEL] NC or NF thread

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Apr 15 08:05:40 PDT 2005

Rick,
Course threads will be less prone to strip.
Fine threads are used to assure high clamping forces.
Take head studs on an automotive engine for example. You'll find course
threads in the block into which the studs are seated fully. Then the cyl
head is placed on. High hex fine thread nuts will be used to assure
plenty of clamping force to keep the gasket sealed.

Here is a brain teaser. You've seen turnbuckles that use a RH and a LH
thread? Try making a turnbuckle with both RH threads but make one side
with course threads and the other side with fine threads. The mechanical
advantage is staggering and you'll be able to really put a tight cinch
on something. Far more effective than a standard RH/LH turnbuckle.

Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC