[SEL] Fuel Intake Compensating Valve Theory/Question

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Apr 12 05:25:21 PDT 2005

John,
I too have a question about the compensating air valve on the Fairbanks
engines. We have a stand alone Fairbanks engine and air compressor used
to build air pressure to start the big Fairbanks at our show grounds.
We have cranked on that that little engine until there are several
bloody hands. Then one of us will finally recall that the throttle plate
has to be manually held closed or near closed. It will start instantly
then. At rest the governor spring will hold the throttle plate wide
open, and I cannot imagine FM intended as part of the starting procedure
to hold the throttle closed manually.
Can you venture a guess as to what might be wrong so we might correct
the problem?
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC