[SEL] Safety First/ tractor starting

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 11 13:26:57 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt" <curt at imc-group.com>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: [SEL] Safety First/ tractor starting

Snip
> Did any other tractor manufactures use unusual starting methods?
> Curt Holland
> Gastonia, NC
> P.S. I figure this is on topic because it IS a hot bulb engine!

Hi Curt, The Field Marshall tractor is about our most interesting starter.
It has a spiral groove for several turns round the flywheel.
You place a small wheel which is on the de-compresser lever at the end of the groove.
You then wind like hell for several turns until the wheel drops out of the groove
letting the de-compressor release.
Providing you are turning fast enough you take the engine over compression.
Prayers are usually said just before the lever falls!
Dave Croft
Warrington
England
http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv