[SEL] Famous/Osborn questions

John Hammink jg.hammink at quicknet.nl
Fri Apr 8 16:42:07 PDT 2005

Harry, they never built stationary engines in Germany.
Only in 1937 they started to built the engines for the first
F12-G tractors.
The Nonpareil type engine was basically the same as the
Famous-Titan series, but was built somewhat lighter.
Compare of the shipping weight of the two types and it is
easely seen. These engines were most likely built to compete
with cheaper engines being built by many other companies.
Your engine is fitted with a Bosch oscillating magneto, they
were first fitted in 1913 for the verticals on demand.
The 4 and 5 hp Nonpareil engines were built from 1909 to
1916. The 5 hp only for the foreign market. They were sold
by McCormick and Osborne dealers.
What I understand from Mike he was talking about an Osborne
engine tag.
After all those years there're and always will be questions.

John Hammink
Anna Paulowna, Netherlands.
jg.hammink at quicknet.nl
www.oldengine.org/members/hammink/web