[SEL] Fooled again

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 17:28:38 PDT 2005

In a message dated 04/03/2005 3:30:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
transteck at earthlink.net writes:

My buddy  who is also a professional mechanic like me and has
actually worked on  Honda's, says it is common for aluminum Honda pans to
strip  out.

My Northstar engine has a cast aluminum pan.  However, the  boys at GM used a
helicoil in oil drain.   I usually hand install and  tighten the drain plug
before putting a wrench on it.
A friend (with a leaking drain plug) didn't realize that his  GM car (with
aluminum pan) had a helicoil and he tried to use an oversize  self tapping drain
plug.  Needless to say, it didn't work as he broke  off a piece of aluminum
at the drain hole.  We fixed the problem by  installing a brass fitting (with a
pipe plug) being held in place with JB  Weld.

Francis Maciel
Santa Maria, CA