[SEL] Gib key removal

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Fri Apr 1 14:06:15 PST 2005

Paul,

I'm sure that the drilling, tapping, pulling process will work but it
also is more work than I think you need to do.

I've had great luck in the past with a low tech homemade puller.

I had a piece of round bar stock, 5/16" or 3/8" diameter should be fine.
I threaded one end so I could put a nut on it.

If the key still has a tab on it, grind the tap off, then place the bar
stock on top of the key and weld it on.  Find something heavy to slide
over the rod and put washers and a nut on the end to stop the weight.  I
had a couple old lead weights (probably tire weights melted down) that
had been poured into a mold like a muffin.  Took two of those weights
and drilled a hole in the center so they could slide on the rod.  Used
some duct tape to keep the weights together.

Sometimes it takes a couple attempts to get the rod to stay attached to
the key, but once you get it to stick, it will pull the key out.  I've
done it several times and it should work for you.

One of the good things about welding the rod to the key is that it puts
a lot of heat into the key which also helps to free it.

WAIT George