[SEL] Honda oil plug OT

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Apr 1 08:42:31 PST 2005

Joe,
Guess we've all got our tales of mechanic's screw ups. Here's mine.
Shortly after I bought the F350 I noticed a distinctive bump in the rear
end which I diagnosed as sticking splines in the drive shaft. I could
have simply added the grease myself (and in hind site should have) but
it was brand new and so I took it to the Ford service department. A
consult and a drive with the service manager confirmed my diagnosis.
They removed the drive shaft, lubed the splines, reassembled it, and
delivered it to the house. Later as I pulled out from my house I could
feel the vibration. SOB I muttered knowing full well the mechanics
failed to phase the U-joints. Back to the house and a quick look
underneath and sure enough it was out of phase. Would you believe there
were even factory yellow marks on the drive shaft halves to make it
idiot proof! But they managed it anyway. This time I pulled it apart and
phased it correctly. I vowed that was the only time I would ever grace
the doors of a dealer "service center". Phasing of U-joints is one of
the most basic of mechanic principles taught early in training. To miss
that is a real mark of incompetence for a auto mechanic.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC