[SEL] Tandem Trailer

Kerry ozengine at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 30 02:45:27 PDT 2004

G'Day Andy

A trailer my son, son-in-law and myself built last year for engine
transport, it is a great trailer with step ups, tool/storage boxes, 2 ton
electric winch and drawbridge (removerable ramps built into tail gate).
http://members.optusnet.com.au/kerrymorris_49/Webpages/Temporary8.html

The tail gate was built with 75mm * 75mm opened ended on the top frame so
that the ramps can be slipped in or of as required and works well.
The trailer was built to haul a 8hp Austral of over 2 tonnes or my 1949
Riley so built strong but is very heavy, the V8 crusier pulls it well loaded
but fuel suffers.
and as can be seen the ramps are wide enought for a wide range of loads,
small engines 2-3 hp are wheeled up one ramp only.

Hope this helps

Kerry Morris
Lithgow NSW OZ

Web   http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/kerrymorris_49

Friends in Engines

> Hello All, I remember a while back, there was talk about Tandem Trailers.
> I'm in the process of building one, and I need some help with the
> configuration of the spring hangers and a method/style of a tailgate. The
> springs I've seen, some are hanging down and some are up on the shackle
> side, with the spring shackle in the up position it looks like the rocker
> will hit the spring, the way I'm inclined to do it is have the spring
> hanging down from the rocker, and the shackle plates angled back, so when
> the weight comes off ( i.e. going over a bump) the axle, the shackle will
> hang straight down and won't flip over above the rocker? Also where to
mount
> the Rocker mount in the centre of the main frame or just back of-centre, I
> think the idea is to have a positive weight on the draw bar, if I have the
> rocker mount in the centre of the frame, won't the weight of the draw bar
> (and spare wheel) give it the correct positive weight I need? The
Tailgate,