[SEL] OT: Titan Tractor Questions

Joe Prindle joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 01:00:54 PDT 2004

Hi,
It has been over two weeks since I asked the questions about 10-20 Titans,
and I am late in replying to thank everyone for the information. I have
been away from the computer due to an illness in the family and am finally
getting caught up.
Thanks to all of you for the info, particularly to Dave Ernst. I seem to
recall hearing old guys talking about Titan crankshafts years ago, and
maybe I have a little better idea what to look for now.
I stopped in to see the guy with the one I had in mind. Neither of us had
a lot of time that day, but we had a good visit and he has invited me back
to see it run. He then said he would help me pull the cover off the
crankcase to look inside. He said his Dad spent a bunch of money on it
about 30 years ago, got the shaft ground and had the bearing shells
re-lined. They also have a couple of spare K-W mags for it and they have
the plowing guide, which is really cool. The tractor has one dent in the
water tank, which is Ok since I want to actually use the tractor and beat
the crap out of it once in a while. It turns out that he knows a lot of
the same folks I know, and his Dad once owned several engines that I own
now. Moral of the story is that it really is a small world! Actually, the
story is much more involved than that, but I will wait on the details
until after I get it bought. I about crapped when I heard where it came
from. He says it starts easy and runs good, and that we can get together
later this fall and play with it for a day. He needs to sell the tractor
for his mother, he has a 10-20 Mogul of his own, so he just doesn't want
the Titan. If I had a Mogul, I would still want a Titan, they are both
pretty darned neat.
The most delightful part of the whole thing is the way that "She Who Must
Be Obeyed" feels about it. When I got the bug, I said "Honey, what would
you think of getting an old tractor?" She thought I meant Oil Pull and
immediately thought of my buddy Paulie's stinky F, which belches smoke and
throws oil in every direction. I think it is neat, but for me the oil and
carbon speckles (a.k.a "Rumely Freckles") are a sign I had a lot of fun,
but not for her. I showed her photos of a Titan with my Dad on it when he
was 5 years old, and she really liked that. Now that she has seen one in
person and got to drive one at a show a week ago, she wants one as bad as
I do. I offered to get her a tractor of her own, thinking maybe a Massey
Pony or a Farmall Cub would be cute but she says that an 8-16 Avery like
Don Blausey's would be really nice. I can't figure it out, if she has such
good taste, how did she wind up with me? ;-) She has been teasing me about
being a FATG, she made a comment about it in front of some of my buddies
and then walked behind me and says "Well, looks like all you need to do is
get the tractor, the rest seems to be well under way!". You can imagine
how much fun my supposed friends had with that.
Again, thanks for the info everyone, and I will post pictures when and if
the deal is struck.
Joe

=====
Joe Prindle
Member Badger Steam & Gas, Baraboo, WI
www.badgersteamandgas.com
Hosting the HPOCA Nat'l Oliver Show
August 19, 20 & 21, 2005
"Is this a private fight, or can anyone join in?"
Old Irish Proverb