[SEL] Saw Outfit Blade finish/now linseed oil

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Fri Sep 24 15:10:33 PDT 2004

> I have a really dumb question. What really is "boiled" linseed oil?

"Boiled Linseed Oil" is stuff that's sold under that name. There really
are two kinds and no easy way to tell what you've got. One is basically
raw linseed oil with Japan drier added to it to make it dry faster. The
makers used to use lead and copper soaps or naphthenates, but in more
recent years it has been usually the less toxic cobalt and manganese
naphthenates. (Naphthenic acids are petroleum derivatives, kind of like
fatty acids, but instead of straight chains they have saturated ring
hydrocarbon structures attached to the carboxylic groups. So these
salts are basically detergents, like soaps.) The metal ions promote
free radical formation stimulating the oxidative polymerization of the
oil. The same way metals from your babbitt bearings promote your engine
oil sludging up with heat and oxygen.

The other kind is simply raw linseed oil that's heated modestly, to
about 150-200°C, and air is blown through it till it reaches a certain
point of beginning oxidation without getting too thick and gummy for
use. Since linseed oil's oxidation is self-catalyzing once started,
this stuff dries much faster than raw linseed oil, which takes forever
and a week. This "boiled linseed oil" is essentially the same as the
"stand oil" used by artists for centuries, which is raw linseed oil
left standing for months in a clear glass jar exposed to sunlight, with
some air exposure.

I recently did a search for MSDSs on boiled linseed oil and looked for
any mention of metallic ingredients. My search wasn't exhaustive, but I
looked at a bunch of them and couldn't find any. So I think most of the
BLO on today's market is the preoxidized sort without metallic
additives. That fits with my observation that it initially dries pretty
quickly but stays in the gummy stage a lot longer than the leaded stuff
used to.

There is yet another product generically termed "polymerized linseed
oil," sold under brand names like Tru-Oil and Lin-Speed. (Some of the
"Danish Oils" fall into this category, too, while some of them are thin
wiping varnishes.) It's been cooked at a higher temperature that
directly breaks some of the double bonds in the fatty acids, which
re-link with each other, forming polymers without the oxidation. These
oils are very fast drying and dry to a hard, glossy shine like varnish.
They're mostly sold in small quantities for gunstock finishing, but are
NOT the stuff to use to get an old-fashioned oil finish on a stock.

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA