[SEL] Stupid people and their insurance

Peter A Forbes diesel at easynet.co.uk
Sun Sep 19 01:37:45 PDT 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:00:47 -0400, you wrote:

>> Do you mean to say boiler inspections are now compulsary?
>> Ray Freeman
>
>Hi Ray,
>    They have been in PA for as long as I can remember. I think they are now
>(after the "accident") in Ohio as well. I believe most states in the USA now
>call for yearly inspections of steam boilers used at shows.
>        Dave

As they have been on a bi-annual basis IIRC in the UK for as long as I can
remember. The legislation over here is "Pressure Vessels" related, not just
steam, and a visual and mechanical inspection has to be carried out with a
certificate issued, before your insurance can be renewed.

There's a bit on the subject for the USA at:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/pressurevessels/

https://www.nationalboard.org/nationalboard/Default.aspx

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/boil.html

UK Health & Safety Executive:

www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg261.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/

Australia has had pressure vessel reg's since 1951....

http://www.ilo.org/public/english/protection/safework/cis/legosh/ausac/lx059177.htm

Accidient database site:

http://www.accidents-inspections.com/accidentdatabase/index.asp

Standards Australia: