[SEL] Nat Rally Reg's New Letter

peter ogborne jopeter at omninet.net.au
Tue Sep 14 04:33:06 PDT 2004

Unfortunately if we want to attend shows we have to abide by the rules.
There are STUPID people ,take the example of the owner of that Case Steam
Traction engine in the US . It exploded and took out a lot of people. Just
think how many more fatalities there would have been if there had been a big
crowd around it in an unfenced compound . Yes i know that to make it safe
and escape the results of that explosion the fence would have had to be a
bloody long way back .I am sure we have all seen some STUPID things done in
engine compounds by members of the public and by members of our own
fraternity.
If following the rules set down by the NHMA allows me to show my engine and
enjoy the company of fellow enthusiasts and this means being behind a fence
so be it . Surely being able to sleep at night knowing that we have a good
insurance policy in the event of an accident is worth the perceived
inconvenience .Litigation is with us and trying to fight against it is like
pissing into the wind and could be expensive.I would prefer to enjoy the
hobby and not rage against the rules,lets face it is it a great problem? I
would also venture to say that some STUPID bastard would stand under the
launch pad if they could! I have no truck with insurance underwriters ,they
are a necessary evil in this day and age ....but show me the man who would
not lodge a claim  if he felt justified in doing so.$ 12 is not going to
send me broke.......so lets enjoy the hobby