[SEL] O.T. Computer Help Needed

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Mon Sep 13 20:09:50 PDT 2004

Assuming the computer is new enough to be able to, it needs to be able to
boot from the CD.
Typically, the boot sequence is set in the BIOS settings to boot from the
hard drive (HD) first.
If that is the case, and it finds no OS on the HD, it will fail with an
operating system not found message.
You will need to press whatever key or key chord is needed to get into the
BIOS settings when the machine is first powered on.
Change the boot sequence to CD then either floppy or HD.

If it STILL won't boot from the CD, you will then need a bootable floppy
that also has CD drivers, a sort of "universal boot diskette".

Your recovery CD should be bootable, the XP CD will be for sure.
However, if you install THAT copy of XP on it and use THAT product number to
install that copy, you could have some issues when it goes to register
itself with Microsoft.......... Meaning they track who has used that number
on what computer.

(MY point being, be VERY careful about using some else's Microsoft product
CDs to install to your own computer)

Bill