[SEL] What followed me home./now carby question

Curt Holland curt at imc-group.com
Thu Sep 9 09:58:30 PDT 2004

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. It's surprising how many on the list have these
versatile Hercules engines.
A few days ago I mentioned I was coupling this engine to a synchronous
alternator. This weekend I started mounting the engine and generator on
the cart. The engine is fixed in it's final location. Here are a couple
of pictures of both on a mid-sized Hercules cart (how fitting, a
Hercules on a Hercules cart).
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/P9090019a.jpg
http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/P9090020a.jpg

I got ready to make the adapter to attach the alternator to the bell
housing but thought I better make sure this engine would run the
required 1800 rpm's first. While normally configured to run 1000 rpm's
it seems reasonable to expect that a engine with an almost square bore
to displacement ratio should be able to turn 1800rpm's. Well there lies
the problem! With the governor pulled all the way open it will only
reach about 1500 rpm's. Disconnecting the linkage and opening the
throttle by hand, I can get it to 1800 but it is spittering and
sputtering something terrible. No way it would pull a load.

As best I can tell the Marvel Schebler carby has a fixed jet and is
intended to be run at a specific speed. There is no adjustment on the
carby. It's sure not going to let this engine run at 1800 rpms in it's
current configuration. Perhaps it needs a different jet for the higher
speed/air velocity.
Does anyone on the list know anything about these Marvel Schebler
carburetors and how to size jets?

Other than that the only solution I see is to go to the local used
tractor parts place and find a comparable updraft carby that has an
adjustment for fuel ratio like you typically see on a tractor.

Any thoughts guys?
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC