[SEL] Re: Glenn's Engine Starting

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Mon Sep 6 06:00:06 PDT 2004

Hi Glenn,

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Glenn Wilson wrote:

> Because I am a WHIMPPPPP.

No, I think your engine isn't setup right or you just haven't figgered out
HOW to start it.

I think all will agree that Dave Rotigel is no massive weight lifter.  But
he starts all of his engines himself.  Hell, he even has the ladies start
'em!

16 hp Gallaway - tickles the ignitor
15 hp Domestic - push button start
15 hp (20 hp?) Famous - a bit more elaborate starting procedure, but the
gals at Portland have even done it.

Spend some time with your engine and experiment.  If it's really hard to
start, SOMETHING is out of adjustment.  If everything is properly adjusted
and in good mechanical order, then you just need to learn HOW to do it.

Usually the key is to relieve some compression while maintaining enough
charge to fire.

If the only way to start an engine was to be a hulk or to belt it up to
something else, these engine companies wouldn't have been able to sell
'em.  That 18 hp Christianson IS called "The Farmer's Friend" and I'll
wager that they didn't sell it with a pony motor or an air start.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com