[SEL] My Economy (AGAIN)

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Thu Sep 2 18:32:47 PDT 2004

> has an engine with faded original paint, striping, decal,
etc. and they
> sandblast that to do a cosmetic restoration.

Philosophically, I hear what you're saying and agree
wholeheartedly.

> Gunk is a great de-greaser.

On this point, I must stand up and yell, "Bollocks!  Fie on
Gunk!"

As you will recall, Hendrik, our Lorenz, has a fair amount
of original red paint and is quite handsome.  When he
arrived in our driveway, he still had a lot of grease and
animal hair covering him.  If you've heard this before,
just hit "delete" now.

After a little gentle scraping, I hosed Hendrik down with
Gunk.  I came back in a little while and rubbed my finger
on his paint to see how the Gunk was coming along.  I about
soiled my britches when my finger came back with paint on
it!!!!   I immediately got the hose and washed off the
Gunk.  If I "almost" soiled my britches before, I filled
them to the waistline when I saw that the lovely red paint
and turned PINK.

Luckily, patting dry with a soft cloth and a gentle massage
with warm linseed oil brought back the color to Hendrik's
paint.

The whole episode probably knocked five years off my life,
and I'm damned lucky that the damage was not permanent.
Gunk is fine for your 1977 Ford Pinto with a leaking rocker
arm cover gasket, but keep it away from anything of value.
That's just my opinion...

Rob

Rob Skinner
La Habra, California