[SEL] My Economy (AGAIN)

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu Sep 2 08:29:50 PDT 2004

Hi Bob,

> She's still a greasy old girl and looks like both the original undercoat
> and final coat of paint are partially intact.  I got her running in the
> "found" condition and at the least I think I should probably give her
> a good steam bath to see exactly what's left there.  No traces
> of original decals are to be seen anywhere.

You might want to take a gentler approach to start.  Steam cleaning would
remove the old grease and oil, but might also blast off some remaining
paint.  I like to go easy on a new engine with a bucket of kero and a
brush.  It's slower and messier but less aggressive.  You may be surprised
at what shows up under that old grease.  You can always steam clean later.
You'd feel really bad to spot pieces of decal & paint sitting in the drain
at the steam cleaners.

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA