[SEL] Briggs "Y"

jlb94 at juno.com jlb94 at juno.com
Wed Sep 1 21:16:03 PDT 2004

Hi Guys,

Yesterday - I responded to one of Curt's posts and I said that I was
doing something really "stupid" - I just didn't know what it was.

Figuring I shorted the capacitor somehow, I took the Briggs flywheel off
and started
poking around again.  After disconnecting the capacitor from the points I
figured it was okay.

While having the ohm meter at hand I (for some reason) decided to check
the points with the ohm meter.  NOTHING ! -  Huh ? - Yep, - NOTHING !!!

Wait a minute !  What's wrong here.  I set them at .020.  Someone told me
the points setting for all Briggs is .020.  Even the manual says .020.

Looking closer with my OTHER BLIND EYE, I discovered what the ohm meter
was telling me - - - MY POINTS AREN'T CLOSING !!!

After setting them - again (with both blind eyes )  This time so they
close - and putting everything back together - again - I now had spark.
WELL,  I'LL BE !!!

Yep - It's running again !!!
I told you I was doing something really "stupid".
Thanks to all who helped.

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com
 ,-._,-.          "Toys are so sophisticated these days
 \/)"(\/           that they can play with each other."
 (_o_)          http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz