[SEL] Surviving Factories

Peter Scales peter at loud-n-clear.net
Fri Oct 29 19:16:01 PDT 2004

In message <200410291339.i9TDddNh014377 at b0643.vr.mx.mail-abuse.com>,
Patrick M Livingstone <pml1 at bigpond.net.au> writes
>After seeing what remains of the original Ronaldson-Tippett factory last
>weekend I am curious as to which other engine manufacturers factories are
>still standing. I know that part of the Rosebery factory here in Sydney is
>still there as is the Fuller & Johnson factory in Madison and the Root & Van
>Dervoort factory in East Moline. Who else has survived?

About fifteen miles from me, in Shrewsbury, is the Sentinel Works where
Sentinel steam lorries were made.  I believe that the factory is now
occupied by Vickers Aerospace, but the original Sentinel, a life-sized
Crusader figure, still stands in his niche above the factory entrance,
hands clasped on the pommel of his sword...

http://www.astbury.org/photos/steam/sentinel.htm for some of Sentinel's
machinery.  Also http://www.eates.org/horse02.html and, for the Crusader
himself, http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones/tony/sentinels/sn02.jpeg

Regards