[SEL] Can Launching

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 20 18:04:42 PDT 2004

Another method of launching from my buddies younger days. For the truly
insane. Snip from his message:

Oh!  The one that worked the best was made from an old driveshaft.  One end
was cut off, at the opposite end we had welded in a nut (14mm) to
accommodate a spark plug.  It was fired with a coil and point/condenser set.
To charge it, we would use acetylene, ether and oxygen ( you will have to
experiment with the mix).  As I recall, we charged it through the spark plug
hole and we already had some newspaper wadding in the discharge end.  After
charging, we put the plug back in and loaded the tennis ball (beer can full
of water worked well too) and rammed it down to compress the gasses, then
all you had to do was secure the driveshaft and break the points.  It made a
hell-of-a-lot of noise and would send a full beer about 2 blocks.

Also the same effect can be had with pvc pipe, hair spray, and potatoes.
For this you use a lantern flint to ignite it.  This one is easier to build,
if you want I'll try to come up with some instructions and an illustration.

Enjoy your launcher if you choose to build one, and pictures please. Use at
your own risk, and that of others.

Regards,

Jeff Allen
Arvada, Colorado USA