[SEL] windmills

R and E Freeman plb at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 20 05:44:43 PDT 2004

Peter,there are two common Southern Cross mills in common use.The Z pattern
was made up till about 1952.On this mill the fan spokes are clamped to the
hub by a type of U bolt. The tail is made of corrigated iron. The bearings
inside the head are babbit type. The later IZ has spokes that screw into the
hub and a flat sheet tail. The bearings inside are replacable white metal.
There is a bearing out at the end of the snout on both models that supports
the shaft, The other bearing which acts as a spacer is in front of the guide
bar. There is a pinion on either side and I think they are located by a roll
pin. All later Z's and all IZ's also have two grub screws in the pinions
that locate onto flats on the shaft. I do have a manual for the IZ which I
can get to you if you want. Both models came in fan diameter's of 6
foot,8,10,12 and 14 foot. You can still buy the IZ's new and get parts for
both. The older model has to have the bearings cast into the head. WD Moore
here in Perth used to do it and likely still do.

Ray Freeman
Portable Line Boring
http://www.plb.iinet.net.au
plb at plb.iinet.net.au