[SEL] Headless Witte Mixer Question

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Tue Oct 19 14:16:06 PDT 2004

Hi Folks,

I was just doing some work on the mixer of my 4 hp headless Witte (circa
1926) and noticed that the needle valve setup is "odd."

The "needle" valve is flat-bottomed with a small tit at the center.
Sitting in a hole below where the needle valve goes is a short
rectangular floating needle that sits on the seat.  The top of this
floating needle has a small depression that aligns with the tit on the
adjustable part.

It appears that the needle valve functions as a vertical travel limiter
rather than as a fixed adjustment.  The engine runs fine, but it looks
odd inside.

Would those of you with headless Witte engines please take a look at your
needle valves and let me know if they have the same setup or if they have
a more conventional "needle" valve?  I'd like to know if this setup is
original or some sort of kludge repair done in the engine's past.

Thanks!!

See ya,  Arnie

PS - Also solved a nagging problem with my Bamford today.  On the last day
of the Cotton Ginning Days show the engine just wouldn't run.  It was
getting fuel, was timed correctly, and had a nice fat spark.  It just
wouldn't hit!  Today in the shed I was cranking it over and noticed a nice
fat blue spark between the plug lead and the water hopper!!  Turns out
there was a flaw in the lead near where it clamps to the hopper!  When we
were checking the spark the flawed part of the lead was well away from the
hopper!  Put a new lead on and she runs sweetly again.  In the bright
sun with background noise at the show, that side-spark just wasn't
noticed.  In the darker, quiet shed however....  8-)))  Life is good!

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com