[SEL] Re: can launching

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Oct 18 17:14:46 PDT 2004

Watch out using flamethrowers on anything you value.  At one of the
local fairs this past summer there were a few big rig pullers and
they were all showing off in one way or another. One lady puller had
pyro charges set in the marker posts on the bumper. She would hit a
switch to start the timer as soon as she dropped the clutch to start
pulling. Made a neat show. The next one up was going to show her up so
he turned on his stack flames (20# propane tank with nozzles in each
stack. At the very top he had a sparker set up to light off the gas. He
made it about mid track and the engine burbled just a bit, but it was
enough to suck a good charge of propane into the nice HOT turbo. BOOM...
He managed to fire the engine back up BUT it was in tough shape. I got
to talk to him later and found out it blew the manifold and both late
stage turbos off the engine. Not a good thing.

Steve Williams