[SEL] Funny Engine Tales

Dave Croft dave.croft at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 18 16:08:44 PDT 2004

Not strictly an Engine tale but on a Saturday night at engine shows I
started to send up hot air Balloons.
These were the bags that dry cleaners put over newly cleaned clothing.
These were very light & we discovered that if we used a square of light
wire in a cross to hold the bag open we could put a piece of cotton wool
in the middle soaked in metholated Spirit.
These flew over the horizon at great height & caused great amusement
amongst the spectators.
One weekend when I couldn't attend a show a young chap said he could copy me.
He got it partly correct but didn't know to watch which way the wind was blowing
& put too much fuel on the cotton wool.
Away went the balloon dripping burning Meths over peoples trailers & the beer tent.
All the exhibitors were running about with extinguishers putting out the flames.
I am glad that he was the one that got blamed.
Dave Croft
Warrington
England
http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv