[SEL] FENCES! now Funny Engine Tales

George Best George_Best at adp.com
Mon Oct 18 14:13:33 PDT 2004

A friend of mine a few years ago was having trouble getting a 4hp F-M T
engine to run.  He'd completely rebuilt the engine and was having a
problem getting it started for the first time.  He could get it to fire
occasionally, but it wouldn't run.  He thought the camshaft was out of
time and had already changed it prior to my arrival.  After I got there
he was turning the engine over and wanted me to check the timing again.

I must admit that I didn't immediately spot his problem, but after a few
minutes I said, "Are you sure you're turning the flywheels the right
direction?".  He thought he was and it wasn't till I pointed out the
arrow cast on the crankcase which indicated he'd been trying to run the
engine backwards!

After getting the camshaft back in correct time and turning the
flywheels in the direction indicated by the arrow, we got it started and
it ran fine!

George