[SEL] Breakaway chains & Cables

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Fri Oct 15 12:02:06 PDT 2004

I suppose the only advantage of brakes on one axle only is lower cost to the
builder.  For the add'l $100.00 or so I would prefer the added safety
advantage of brakes on both axles.

Some states require brakes on tandem axle trailers, while I understand a few
don't.  I believe some states require brakes on each axle.  I have a 16'
flatbed tandem axle trailer with brakes on just one axle and I have carried
some pretty good loads on it, ie a couple of different John Deere D tractors
(one at a time).  The "D" weighs about 5000 lbs.  The one axle brakes worked
very well.  This was at both freeway speeds and slower two lane Ozark Mtn.
roads.

When you see a trailer for sale advertised with brakes, either new or used,
you must determine whether it has brakes on both axles, only one axle, or
none at all.  Trailers, identical except for brakes are manufactured and
sold for hiway use and for farm use.  Farm trailers used behind tractors or
farm pickups usually don't have brakes.  It is a short step to thinking of a
trailer behind a heavy tractor moving a slow speeds to pulling it with a
farm pickup and running down the road at higher speed.

I was unhappy when I found that my flatbed trailer has brakes on only one
axle, but I bought it anyway because of an immediate need.

Gary

> >When I last built a tandem axle trailer I put brakes on both axles.  I
have
> >pulled some pretty heavy loads with this trailer and knowing I have
brakes
> >on each axle is a comforting feeling.
>
> What would be the advantage (if any, we don't see single-axle braking out
of two
> here much) of just braking one axle ?  I don't think we 'can't' do it, but
I'd