[SEL] FENCES! now Funny Engine Tales

Alan Bowen alanb2 at webtv.net
Wed Oct 13 18:56:27 PDT 2004

Hi Folks,

How about silly things spectators have said to us?

At the first Buckley, Michigan show after the Medina, Ohio tragedy I had
my 1 1/2HP TG Cushman Model 21 Type X running sweetly.  Her water was
boiling a bit and putting off steam.

Now,,, I am a guy that always is ready to listen to the wise words of
the older guys that come by so when that old feller stopped I was
waiting to learn some interesting new fact,,,,,,

He pointed at Cushy and asked me, "Aren't you afraid that steam engine
will blow up like that one in Ohio did?"  He really did look worried
like he thought I shouldn't be running it.

I couldn't help it,,,,, I told him, "Oh, I know,,, Wasn't that terrible?
That is why I cut that hole in the top of the boiler.  Now it can only
make steam. It can't build up any pressure."

He just shook his head like he understood and moved on.

This year I had a guy ask me why these engines weren't still used more.
He said he has watched H&M engines run all day on the little bit of gas
in the glass thing on top of the engine.  8>))

This guy was 55-60 years old.   I tipped one of my engines over and
showed him the gas tank under the base and told him how the drops of oil
lubricated the piston and dropped through the hole to lube the wrist
pin.  I had a rod and piston out of the engine I was working on.

I figure they were both City Slickers.  The one this year had been
snookered by someone in the past real good.

Alan Bowen  alanb2 at webtv.net
Williamsburg, Michigan