[SEL] FENCES! now Funny Engine Tales

Bob Jacobs Carrowor at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 14:00:51 PDT 2004

-------Original Message-------

From: The SEL email discussion list
Date: 10/13/04 15:34:32
To: The SEL email discussion list
Subject: [SEL] FENCES! now Funny Engine Tales

Bob Jacobs wrote:

>That's the worst incident I've seen other than the stupid stunt I pulled.
>

>>OK Bob I'll bite....tell us all about it.

Ok, sure, why not.  Nobody here knows me anyhow so I won't have to hide at
the shows yet!!!!

My father and I were asked to take dad's Steamer and our gas engines to a
little show just nine miles from home.

At that time we had around 40 engines, most ran, a few looked like they
could and several for "spare parts".  The week before the show we pulled
everything out of the barn and washed them up.  Now dad and I always liked
to run them "as is".   Not the glitzy, glamour show pieces  but more of
life at the farm" exhibit.

The first day of the show was marvelous, hundreds of "hands on" people
helping out, lots of old friends of dad's sitting and swapping stories etc.
Everything a show should be.

The second morning one of dad's old friends pulled up to our area in his old pickup and yelled for me to help him unload an engine dad had bought sometime before but never picked up.  There in the truck was a near perfect 1 1/2 hp jumbo engine.  This engine was clean, complete and perfect.  We set it in the shade and I started checking it over.  Good hot spark, timing seemed right, ignitor appeared to be good and nothing on the engine showed much wear at all, but she just wouldn't bark.  After several hours of fussing around her we pulled the ignitor for the umpteenth time and someone suggested that maybe fuel wasn't getting into the cylinder at all.  I, in my then youthfull enthusiasim, stuck my right index finger into the ignitor hole and (need I say anymore)?????