[SEL] O.T. 214 John Deere

Duncan Denman canuckiron at wightman.ca
Wed Oct 13 05:43:07 PDT 2004

Well,

I finally had a chance to go over the 214 John Deere and have a look at the
points. They are located on the front of the engine behind the grill. Not the
easiest things to get to. They were pitted and mildly corroded and gaped way out
to .027! We dressed them with a file and emery cloth and reset the gap. I took it
out and worked the crap out of it and when it was warmed up I could not get it to
act up at all. I am thinking this may have the problem licked.
As an aside, I got curious and pulled the breather off. I think the air filter
was last changed when this thing was new. Couldn't even get a light to shine
through. Has a minor fuel leak somewhere that just smells but does not leave any
tell tale puddles or spots. The saga continues...... :-)
Thanks for all the advice.

Duncan

--
Duncan and Sandy Denman