[SEL] NHMA

Adam Cottrill adamcottrill at telstra.com
Mon Oct 11 15:50:56 PDT 2004

Gents and Ladies,
               to abtain NHMA insurance the following must occur...

1. You must be a member of an affiliated club (there are close to 150 of them I believe)

2. You must be an exhibitor to enter a compound and of course hold an insurance card from your Club

I admit in some minor respects this system is open for abuse in regards to what one of you guys mentioned walking into a compound and sticking your head in a flywheel, however the above mentioned steps are in place to reduce abuse as you where able to previously buy insurance direct as an individual.

The NHMA covers personal accident as well as public liability, transit and voluntry workers.

One of your guys mentioned the key word "due care" or "duty of care" this is the keystone to everything the NHMA policy represents, no one is suggesting for a minute that fences and everything else in the safty guidelines 100% stop someone from getting hurt! IF anyone does their dreamin!!

However we are reducing the risk or liklyhood of that happening and by doing that the cost of the policy is reduced which is favourable for everyone.

The end result in my opinion is peice of mind and evolution of the hobby in todays social environment..... Ask some common Joe today what hay press is 9 times out of 10 they wont know! 15years ago I would guess it would be more like 6 or 7 out of 10 would know. And even today you would be surpised at how many people dont know how to change a tyre on a car or open the bonnet!!!!

The common person doesnt know what hay presses are which bits of engines are hot or can give you an electric shock and to that end we are trying to protect them from social ignorance of our fantastic hobby which is all about days gone.

Cheers,
         Adam