[SEL] nhma

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Mon Oct 11 05:25:40 PDT 2004

Guess I will never figure out why _I_ should be liable for some a$$hole
who is so bloody stupid, so dumb, so should be out of the gene pool anyway
that they stick their head into a running engine, get hurt, then want to
BLAME ME or the show putter-onner.
Oh, I know - it's John Edwards and his merry band of lawyers, that's it!
Because THEY make money when some total moron gets hurt through NO fault
of mine, but wants to blame me so they can collect some easy money.
Well, in the words of a great rock band - they need to "Get over it".
As a local radio show host says, this country is in an entitlement
mentality - the world owes me, I don't have all I want so the world owes
me.

If I display my engines, don't have an engine that is unsafe around people
with a lick of common sense, then there should be no liability on my part
should someone get hurt.
Should it not be that simple?

Now if I take an unsafe engine, or if I do something stupid like walk away
from it and the governor doesn't work and an engine rated at 500RPM
suddenly goes into overdrive and hits some crazy speed and some parts
break and it hurts someone who is not even looking at it, then OK, I have
a problem then.
I can see insurance for that - "accident" sort of thing.

But where do the fences some in? To protect ME from some absolute moron
who can't keep their fingers out of moving parts - sorry, I won't show
behind a bullet-proof glass. I'll stay home and enjoy them first, maybe
invite some friends - who are smart enough to touch and not get hurt.
I don't even go to museums where I can't get close and personal with the
displays. It's no better than looking at pictures in a book, and that's
cheaper. I want people to mill around the displays and ask questions, and
look close at the working parts and show interest. And I want to come and
go without having to traverse fences. The ropes like used at Waukee are
plenty for smart people. The dumb ones can just stay home where they can
get hurt putting their hands into a garbage disposal to unclog it.

Gee, I feel better now.
Reg - keep on talking - I really do enjoy hearing/reading you, even if it
is a rant. At least your rants are logical.

Bill