[SEL] Valve guides one more time?

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Wed Oct 6 13:54:55 PDT 2004

In a message dated 10/5/2004 8:47:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
transteck at earthlink.net writes:

<< Once again I am considering using modern thin wall bronze guides >>

Jeff,

There are two good ways in my opinion.  You can use modern bronze guides
installed by a head rebuilding shop, having them install and do a valve job on
your head.  Or, you can find oversize valves/stems, and ream you guides out to
fit the stem diameter and do a valve job from there.  The old chevy 350 valves
are great to find and keep around for some of these jobs.  Some shops throw
them away, and it is good to pick up a few worn valves to keep for your projects.
 All of the above is assuming you have no shop equipment to do the work
yourself.  Lots of the folks on the list are machinists have their own equipment to
do work like this.  The head work I have had done around here is not too
expensive.

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA
Germoamer at aol.com