[SEL] fatal accident, Jackson County, Oregon

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Wed Oct 6 12:05:32 PDT 2004

George,

	I agree that winching (with a winch that has a good brake) is the best
method to load.  I saw a guy loading a small antique crawler on a steel
plated tilt bed truck once.  He evidently wanted to put it all the way
to the front.  It went fine until he got to the very front of the bed
and it bumped the railing.  It caused the tracks to spin on the steel
bed and off it went on the side.  It slid off and landed perfectly flat
on the tracks. Luckily kind of a fluke thing for him.  The guy just sat
on it for a few minutes and then got off.  He walked about 10 feet and
colapsed.  He was OK but really shook up.  He name is David Bunnell
(some of you may know him) and he and I always mention it when we're
around one another.  I had a winch latch break on me once and a 2000 lb
engine on trucks rolled over both hands breaking them.  Both were ina
cast and it wasn't pleasant when I couldn't even go to the bathroom
without help.  With the old iron (and other things) you can never be too
careful.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, Ky