[SEL] Johnson Iron Horse connecting rod

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Fri Oct 1 06:43:51 PDT 2004

For automotive rods, you mill or grind (not with your bench grinder!!!)
the cap and rod where they join - mill at a slight angle and what happens
when you bolt it together is that it "squeezes" in the sides making the
"hole" smaller all the way around.
Then you have it bored and finished again, good as new.
Reconditioned a lot of rods that way.
(take more material off of the outside part of the rod and cap than off on
the inside next to the bore - I have the details somewhere at home, been a
long while since I've done this)

Bill