[SEL] Governor for Chevy 350 engine?

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Nov 30 05:33:31 PST 2004

Rick,
Share with us the other DC nameplate information such as kw, kva, or HP.
That is what is going to determine what speed you need to be running
your 350 engine at. If you are only trying to generate say 30 HP (or
roughly 20kw) then your 350 V8 ought to be able to do this just fine at
1200 rpms. Direct couple them and enjoy the fuel savings of running the
engine at low rpm's. If you are trying to make say 150 HP (or roughly
100kw) then you are certainly going to need to be in the power band
range for this motor. Then you will be forced to go the route of gear
reduction or automotive transmission.

If you wind up direct coupling the two, there is no reason the standard
starter won't turn over both the engine and the unexcited generator.
You should also give thought to a torsional flex plate between the
engine flywheel and generator input shaft to prevent fatigue failure.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC