[SEL] Mini flat belt sources

Rupert Wenig rwenig at cable-lynx.net
Sun Nov 28 11:29:28 PST 2004

Hello Steve,
	You should be able to obtain leather of suitable thickness from a shoe
maker to make a belt if you don't have any luck finding a ready made
one. The ends can be joined using a leather lace or wire belt hooks. For
info, the small South Bend lathes used a leather belt like the above. I
can send you a scan of the lacing instructions from the South Bend
manual if you would like it.

Rupert

Steve Gray wrote:

> Hi All -
>
>  I put this question to the TheOldIronCOLLECTIVE yahoo group awhile back
> and thought I'd throw it out here for some comments. I'm finalizing the
> Mery display and could use a small flat belt for an idea I'm toying
> with. Ideally, it would be 30-36" long and 3/4-1" wide. Keeping it thin,
> similar to those used in vacuums cleaners, would be good for the small
> diameter pulley (1") that may be incorporated into this, and also would
> be less drag on the small engine. I would think rubber would be
> preferable in this application. Speed is of no concern here.
> McMaster-Carr has a few that might work, but I'm not exactly a fan of
> the colors available; green, yellow, OSHA orange, etc. (whatever
> happened to good ol' black??).  I'd be leery of even the "flexible"
> vinyl paints eventually coming off a painted belt. As with the colored
> belts, serpentine belts were considered but passed by. After the work
> put into this thing, I guess I'm being more purist than usual! Any ideas
> as to sources?  Thanks in advance!
>
> - Steve

yvt

Rupert Wenig