[SEL] 1926 Air Compressor

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Wed Nov 24 09:50:11 PST 2004

Hi All,
	This past spring while at the Coolspring Show I came across an old air
compressor. It was only $100.00 so I bought the thing. Several weeks ago I
decided to see if it would pump air, and discovered that one fitting had
been broken off. In order to get to the fitting to replace it, I had to
take the compressor and motor and deck off the tank. While it was off I
decided to restore the thing.
	In the process of the restoration I discovered a tag soldered to the tank
indicating that the tank was tested to 200 lbs. and that it was made in
1926. The compressor is single stage and the motor on the unit is a 1 1/2
HP GE. Power is provided from the motor to the compressor via a 2" flat
belt. The unit was made by The United States Air Compressor Co. of
Cleveland Ohio. After some 110v/220v problems (due to my ignorance) which
Rob straightened out for me, the compressor runs just fine and has no
problem pumping 125 lbs. It then turns itself off and the mechanical
pressure switch turns it back on when the pressure drops to 75 lbs. It's
kinda a neat unit and will make it's new home in my son's (DJ's) garage!
	Pictures can be seen at: http://www.nightvisionweb.com/anvs_3105.htm
		Dave