[SEL] Economy Buzzrig Birthday Present

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Mon Nov 22 11:32:24 PST 2004

Hi John,
         The generator (and I am pretty sure that that is what it is)
simply supplies a constant source of 6v--just as the old 6v battery
(actually 3 2v wet cells) would. The problem was that spinning the
flywheels would not turn them fast enough to "generate" the 6v necessary to
produce a spark--thus a battery was needed for starting the engine. On the
photos that Steve sent to Luke there would be no way to "time" the "thing"
if it was, indeed, a magneto. Once the engine was running "up to speed" 6v
would be generated and the battery could be turned off (notice the 2 way
switch in the photos) and it's energy saved for starting the engine when
needed.
         Dave
PS, keep in mind that charging a battery in the 20's likely meant hitching
up the horses and going into town--then repeating the procedure the next
day to pick up the charged battery!