[SEL] Generator / Magneto

Luke Tonneberger flywheelin at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 09:34:00 PST 2004

Hi Guys,

I should have changed the subject, but I kept forgetting, sorry.  John
Cullom sent me a scan out of a catalog and it shows an item similar to the
one Steve pictured and it is called a magneto. It shows the coil inside the
magnets. It also says on engines of larger horsepower (with larger
flywheels) enough speed cannot be obtained to properly fire the engine when
starting. So it is started on battery and coil first then switched over to
the magneto. This is the purpose of having the coil inside the magnets.
Still thought a coil should be kept away from a mag, but maybe I was
mistaken??  The scan John sent talks about three mags. Two of them are the
type I'm talking about and what Steve showed (for a make and break system).
One with the coil in it and one without. The third one mentioned is for a
jump spark system, which sounds like the system Dave has on his Domestic.
Could someone maybe explain the difference between the friction drive
magnetos for the make and break and jump spark systems?

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA