[SEL] old engines on Propane question

Steve Gray segray at mlode.com
Fri Nov 19 23:02:52 PST 2004

  Yep, that be the one. I got the plans from a different source, but
it's the same thing. I made mine out of brass to go along with the rest
of the plumbing on the engine. My question would be would this valve be
big enough to work on a full size engine? I would guess not.

   As seen in the front view picture
(http://www.oldengineshed.com/graphics/mery114net.jpg ),  I use the
small Coleman type propane tank run through a regulator used on propane
gas grills. This steps the pressure down to about 11" of water column,
which if I remember right, is just a few ounces of pressure. I then pipe
that to the demand valve (not shown in this early picture) which is
plumbed fairly close to the engine. From there, I changed the kit plans
of using a pair of adjustable needle valves to control fuel and air flow
into a mixer, to a setup more resembling the mixer valves used on the
original engine. Most of the guys running oil field engines are familiar
with the air and fuel valves dumping into a simple pipe Tee as a mixer.
The little 5/16"  miniature ball valves I use are a little tricky to set
right but work fine once there. This is my first use of propane and at
first, I wasn't too sold on it until I had the demand valve in the
system. I can post some pictures of the valve if anyone wants a gander
at it.

- Steve

--
Steve Gray