[SEL] Pouring Babbitt..revisited

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Fri Nov 19 06:18:12 PST 2004

  Howdy all;
Well I'm getting my first on hands experience pouring babbitt for the saw
arbor bearings on the sawrig.

  Should I leave the ends partially open so the trapped air can escape or
just dam them air tight?  After a couple pours the babbitt in places doesn't
want to make it all the way to the dams.

  Should I heat the shaft also?  I'm heating the babbitt until it chars a
stick.  The casting until I'm sure all the moisture is out.

Appreciate any advise and thanks for the threads over the years!!!

Take Care
RickinMt.

http://community.webshots.com/user/stroberc