[SEL] Help With Rare Engine Price Please

Luke Tonneberger flywheelin at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 18 18:06:03 PST 2004

Hi Everybody,

I've been trying to buy an engine for a few years but haven't had any luck.
I stopped by to check on it after work tonight. I got lucky as the owner was
just pulling in the drive just as I was leaving. After chatting a bit I made
an offer on the engine. He thought for about 2 seconds and said probably
not. Which was better than times before as all I got before was I'm not
ready to sell it. I was led to believe he actually thought about it this
time and I feel he might sell it if I come up with the right amount of
money. But this is also the first time I offered a dollar figure. I also
offered to come back and put a bucket over top of the engine to keep it from
rotting away any more, he replied with "Certainly, any time."  I'm not real
framiliar with rare engines and the price they bring.

My question is, can someone give me an approximate value of the engine
pictured here?

http://www.oldengine.org/members/luket/roughvertical/roughvertical.html

What would something like this bring if it was all restored?  I don't have a
clue and think I might be low in my offer, but then again I don't want to
offer more than a realistic price. Off list is Ok if you want.

Luke Tonneberger
Rockford, Michigan
USA