[SEL] Another engine running

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Thu Nov 18 10:49:38 PST 2004

Harry Terpstra wrote:

>I use Dupont Centari. IMO this is one of the better paints on the market (it
>should be if you look at the price;)
>But it can't witstand the gas for a long time (more than a few hours)
>What paint you use?

Harry,
Have been a fan of Dupont Imron for years, a 2 part urethane paint. Can
soak it in gasoline or wipe down in lacquer thinner and it does not hurt it.

Is Centari a 2 part paint? If so it should hold up to gasoline too.

Are you using a 2 part primer under the Centari? If using a solvent
based primer instead of a two part primer that is your problem. The
primer is what is actually lifting, making it look like the color top
coat is the problem.
I have had beautiful black Imron destroyed by weeping gasoline because I
used lacquer primer surfacer. Once I switched to 2 part primers that
problem has gone away. Be ready for sticker shock, the primers are as
expensive as the top coat. But at least it will stay down.
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC